What the satellite temperature record is telling us about Earth’s climate

earthNews outlets are going to great lengths to throw a wet blanket on the nearly 40-year-long satellite temperature record. Yesterday, the AP’s Seth Borenstein wrote that temperature readings taken on the surface—about 6 feet from the ground—are actually better than satellites, which take their measurements from “high in orbit.” He notes the satellite record’s lack of warming has given ammo to climate doubters like presidential candidate Ted Cruz, who has been holding hearings on the alleged data tampering by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), plus the satellite temperature record.

The reason the satellite records are considered the “gold standard” in determining the Earth’s temperature is because they aren’t affected by the radiative forcings typically found on the surface (like cement and highways and buildings and airport runways). But don’t take the satellite’s record at face value; weather balloons also show that 2015 just wasn’t as hot as NOAA and NASA are now claiming.

Borenstein writes that anyone who casts doubt on ‘accepted science’ are most often ‘non-scientists,’ and they even call out a few names in the process, notably Sen. Cruz. Another person who has been actively documenting and tracking the surface temperature data adjustments is Tony Heller, who runs the popular website Real Science. Another is Anthony Watts, a meteorologist who has taken on the task of cataloging surface weather stations here and abroad. What they and many others have found are gross inconsistencies, data tampering, data readjustments, and the closure of so many rural weather stations as to make the land data skew toward appearing warmer.

Climate scientist and devout evangelical Katharine Hayhoe tells Borenstein that, “We care about what’s happening where we live. That’s why ground-based temperatures are most relevant to humans.” Except ground-based temperatures are only relevant when deciding what to wear before going to work or the beach. Not for determining if the entire planet is warming up from increased carbon dioxide (CO2).

Global warming theory dictates that increased CO2 will cause the mid- to upper-troposphere to heat up, forcing the lower troposphere (that’s the air around us that Hayhoe wrongly believes validates man-made global warming) to heat up and achieve equilibrium. Bake for a couple hundred years, and you start to understand why a few scientists with the best intentions think we are paving our way to a hellish CO2-laden future.

Except we aren’t. And that’s a huge problem for climate scientists who have staked their reputations on this theory being correct. Weather balloons that also measure temperatures that aren’t affected by human error / being poorly situated also show that the planet isn’t warming as fast as all those computer models predicted. Orbiting satellites have been recording temperatures from five miles up since 1979, so there is now a 38-year record. Not as long as 200 years of surface temperatures, but not as spotty or manipulated.

The theory of global warming predicts that the upper atmosphere will warm from trapped heat, just like in a greenhouse. As the upper atmosphere warms, the surface of the Earth warms up “later” to reach equilibrium. But that isn’t happening. The reason satellites are so important in this undertaking is that they are not biased toward warming or cooling. If the mid- to upper-troposphere isn’t heating up, as it should be, then the theory of global warming—regardless of how warm the surface air is around a particular weather station on a particular day at a particular time—is no longer valid.

The satellite data also isn’t susceptible to carefully orchestrated media campaigns, environmental groups’ press releases, the flow of grant money pouring out of government agencies to ‘study’ the issue, or reporters who don’t understand the scientific method. And the insignificant amount of surface warming that vested interests are trumpeting can be attributed to naturally occurring events. One is the ongoing El Niño and the other is the Pacific blob. We also just left a glaciation. To a geologist, that was only yesterday (it was about 20,000 years ago in real time).

One person who runs the satellite measuring system is Dr. John Christy. He explains to Borenstein why satellites are the preferred method for detecting warming from the greenhouse effect. He says that the ground’s “surface is affected by too many other variables and doesn’t represent the real mass of the climate system.” Even Carl Mears, a global warmist and a senior satellite scientist with another group, admits that the satellites are able to take “measurements from thick layers of atmosphere 50,000 feet up,” but aren’t as good as measuring temps “near the ground.”

Read rest…

Trackback from your site.

Leave a comment (newest first):

Comments (18)

Amber

The peanut and shell game of climate “science ” in full display . Don’t like the numbers ? Then discredit them for ones that are incomplete and easily adjusted by a conflicted party that will play ball with your view .

Satellites aren’t stuck at the end of airport runways ,paved parking lots and by close by urban centres while readings from 2/3 of the world covered by water are well shall we say …not included .

No one was concerned about satellite readings until they didn’t support the global warming scam .

Climate science takes a conclusion and then develops a hypothesis to fit the conclusion .
    The real clue to how big the overblown lie is when they resort to talking about “consensus” like it’s some little high school clique .

Coming out with goofy statements about the hottest year on “record ” isn’t honest
    when the record is so short and incomplete and the probability of their guesses well below 50 % . In any event should people not be happy it’s warming and not cooling even if the claimed changes are so minuscule as to be statistically meaningless ?

JayPee

NOAA and NASA are nothing but a pack of liars wailing the doctrine of the criminally corrupt administration of the Lord G-d O’Bama who dictates all that is right and just and what everyone should believe and know.

And the MSM cannot understand why so many prospective voters are so angry and willing to topple the politics as usual conduct in the USA.

Me

Because the MSM is part of the problem, People now see them for what they are, just another political arm of who pays them and the message they spew foreward.

Me

Another thing with the MSM and the Green croud, I’d rather like to see their reports in the old news print still, but they will claim is isn’t green and good for the planet and all that bull shit, but what it is about is them having their report in wrighting, in Black and White, that they can’t change after the fact of what they were claiming. And yeah, that news paper is recyclable now like they are all for, except for the ones that people hold on to, to hold them to their words.

Me

And in the end that still doesn’t cut it with the MSM, and Time Mag is an example of that along with everyone else that tagged along with their global cooling stories in the 70’s. Now they cover all angles with everything is caused by????

Me

Where do you think bull shit like this came from?

Me

Amber

Me

[quote name=”Amber”]Easy…. Me write to suit yourself . As one who misspells nearly each post I have zero to say .[/quote]

Exactly! I knew that would work on a word natzi! Ya didn’t learn the message did ya! Just say what the jackasses like warmist do!

Me

Thankyou! 😉 I guess you couldn’t help yourself.

Me

And the funny thing was no mention of being off topic this time by you, or dave? 😆

Me

Now with my comments about your words you used there with respect to Robert Carter. I wish their family well, and that they have all the financial support that they need in this time. And I am truly sorry for their loss, as I have Lost People as well that was dear to Me. My Mother and My sister! So Don’t tell Me about losses. Yes, Bob will be missed, he done good, and stayed true.

Me

#7 Amber 2016-01-23 02:54
    Dr .Robert Carter”s Testimony on Dec 6,2006
    to the USA Committee on Environment and Public Works is as valid today as it was then .
    His Paper
    Public Misconceptions of Human-Caused
    Climate Change
    The Role Of The Media

Mr. Carter dedicated his academic and working career to Earth Sciences ,

His words and memory live on . We won’t let him down .

If you are or were wondering!

Me

Funny how things dissappear, even when you use snipping tool!

David Lewis

[quote name=”Me”]So? David Lewis and Amber Is that better? I still misspilled “Crowd” I still did what I do! No doubt I still made grammer errors. Does it siut your needs now?[/quote]

What in the world are you talking about? I never made a statement about anyone’s spelling or grammar. When I send emails to my college age kids for awhile they were pointing out by spelling and grammar errors, but I think they have now just given up.

Unless I missed something Amber only made one comment. The posts I’m seeing here are an over reaction.

David Lewis

David Lewis

Amber

If you can show me where I have criticized your spelling I would be happy to apologise .
    I realize how atrocious my own spelling is so
    I don’t feel the need to say anything about others .
    As I recall you made reference to one yours and I pointed out my own which are frequent .