A lot of garbage was hauled out of the Dakota Access protest camps, just not as much as previously indicated.
The North Dakota Department of Emergency Services said last week that 21.48 million pounds of trash, debris and waste was ultimately removed from the three protest camps built on federal land — Oceti Sakowin, Rosebud and Sacred Stone — based on figures from Morton County Emergency Management.
Last month, however, the state said on its NDResponse page on Facebook that 48 million pounds had been cleared from the camps. It turns out the actual figure was 4.8 million pounds as of the Feb. 28 post.
“It appears a decimal point was omitted,” said Cecily Fong, spokeswoman for the North Dakota Department of Emergency Services.
The figure on NDResponse has since been corrected.
A Florida contractor hired by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers finished the massive restoration job March 9 at the camps located on federal land, picking up where the Standing Rock Sioux left off after launching the cleanup in late January.
The trash tally from the camps is expected to grow given that the Sacred Stone Camp is partially located on land owned by the Standing Rock Sioux, which has not yet reported the amount of garbage collected on tribal property.
At Oceti Sakowin, the largest of the camps, crews also found 44 abandoned vehicles, including three campers and two buses, according to a Friday press release from NDResponse.