Bill Belichick vs. Bill Nye: Wells Report Discredits Science Guy’s Analysis

nyeWhen Bill Belichick alleged that atmospheric conditions played naturally depressurized footballs back in January, he elicited widespread ridicule in the news media. But the release of the Wells Report affirms his analysis, however rudimentary, as correct.

“I’m not too worried about coach Belichick’s competing with me,” Bill Nye “the Science Guy” told Good Morning America in January. “What he said didn’t make any sense.”

But the Wells Report noted that every ball tested by referees at halftime of the AFC Championship Game—Colts balls and Patriots balls—displayed significantly reduced air pressure. Furthermore, the scientific firm employed by the Wells Report found, just as Bill Belichick said back in January, that balls lost about a pound or more of pressure by halftime.

“We found that once the footballs were on the field over an extended period of time, in other words, they were adjusted to the climatic conditions and also the fact that the footballs reached an equilibrium without the rubbing process, that after that had run its course and the footballs had reached an equilibrium, that they were down approximately one-and-a-half pounds per square inch,” the Patriots head coach maintained to media jeers. “When we brought the footballs back in after that process and re-tested them in a controlled environment as we have here, then those measurements rose approximately one half pound per square inch. So the net of one and a half, back to a half, is approximately one pound per square inch, to one and a half.”

Ted Wells paid the scientific firm Exponent to run the same type of experiments that Dr. Belichick and his lab assistants performed. “According to Exponent,” the Wells Report informs, “based on the most likely pressure and temperature values for the Patriots game balls on the day of the AFC Championship Game (i.e., a starting pressure of 12.5 psi, a starting temperature of between 67 and 71 degrees and a final temperature of 48 degrees), the Ideal Gas Law predicts that the Patriots balls should have measured between 11.52 and 11.32 psi at the end of the first half, just before they were brought back into the Officials Locker Room.”

Sound familiar? It should. Bill Belichick made that exact point in January. Beyond this, the NFL commissioned investigation shows—deep in the report beyond the executive summary and in contradiction to the “probably” guilty conclusion offered as the takeaway—that eight of the 11 Patriots balls tested at 11.32 psi or more by one of the two NFL referees at halftime. In other words, the majority of the balls experienced natural drops in pressure, and not unnatural ones enacted by a needle, by halftime according to at least one of the two NFL referees.

Like the meat of the Wells Report contradicting the executive summary takeaway, not everything upon further investigation is as it appears. Bill Nye isn’t actually a scientist. He played one in a movie once. That role, in the 1998 Disney Channel movie The Principal Takes a Holiday, along with his mechanical engineering bachelor’s degree from Cornell, propelled his interest in science and the public’s interest in him as a “scientist.” But he’s as much of a scientist as Bill Belichick, Wesleyan ’75, is an economist.

“To really change the pressure you need one of these,” Nye insisted to Good Morning America, “the inflation needle.”

According to actual scientists, rather than a guy who played one in a movie, atmospheric pressure works, too.

Source

Trackback from your site.

Leave a comment (newest first):

Comments (22)

TheCableGuy

Never let science get in the way of Science!(tm)

John West

Any Mechanical Engineer worth his salt understands the natural gas laws, Nye is an embarrassment.

4TimesAYear

Nye must not be very good at car maintenance either. I thought everyone knew this basic science from the what happens to tires in colder temps.

amirlach

There is a reason racers use nitrogen to inflate tires instead of normal air. No water Vapor.
    [quote]First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings. That means more consistent inflation pressures during a race as the tires heat up. And when you’re tweaking a race car’s handling with half-psi changes, that’s important.

Passenger cars can also benefit from the more stable pressures. But there’s more: Humidity (water) is a Bad Thing to have inside a tire. Water, present as a vapor or even as a liquid in a tire, causes more of a pressure change with temperature swings than dry air does.[/quote]

Amber

Don’t be to hard on Bill Nye he is only an actor trying to make a living as a geek scientist and apostle of the scary global warming promoters .

You have to admit not many mechanical engineers could pull off that but its a living .

Me

Probably because he couldn’t pull off being a mechanical engineer is the reason he turned actor. 😆

Amber

Me You have a point . Incredible how he badgered the “news correspondent ” recently to make sure she uses the phrase ‘climate change ” frequently .

What happened to the media ? Shallow wimps, that are now told by the person being interviewed what to say . What are they worried about ? He won’t come on their show ?

Can’t wait for the next batch of “tipping point”, the earth has a fever claims .

It should be the high water mark this year for even more outrages predictions of doom . Unfortunately for those with scary angry Green Chicken Little costumes the public is tuning them out in favour of real priorities .

Well all this venting has made me hungry for a steak sandwich . The greenies can
    enjoy the bug ones being promoted by their UN jet setter leader .

Me

Hey be carefull who you trust.

Me

Too funny, I guess I was banned over at Goddards again, for having my say. If Twitter bans him again, then so be it. It is the do as I say but not as I do mentality. Pathetic.

JayPee

Regarding how the msm whores structure their interviews :

Ever notice how Katie Couric always leads the interviewee her way and does not permit certain things being said. Core – ritz is very talented in being able to do that, but she is NOT a journalist. She obediently tows the line of her network regarding point of view.

Dan Rather did the same thing but got caught in a lie. Ever wonder how come he was kept at full salary even though he was no longer an anchor ?

It was hush money.

Paying hush money was considered a crime when Richard Nixon was president.

Me

Stay true and let all points of view stand. Isn’t that transpirasy, I guess not for some. They have their limits.

Me

And the truth sometimes hurts.

JayPee

The truth is by far most of the time unpleasant , even indigestible. But it’s still the truth and you either deal with it or become a dreaming idiot constantly telling yourself and everybody else how things are supposed to be.

Successful people deal with reality. Those who ignore reality become democrats, welfare scum, and even university professors !?

Me

I don’t know if it was me saying the how to defend your self in a dog attack, but as soon as I mentioned Watts prototype weather stations, I was gone. Amazing! Let Stephen or Tony explain it I don’t care, just like I told the lady with a grammarspilling issue about if the dog cares on how if they attack me and I take them down would care. But I’m sure it was about the dogs, that irked him or his better half. That is how trust worthy as I can take anything he says now. Sad and It sucks.

Me

The thing is I don’t know if was about the dog thing, or Watts prototype, I think it was about the dogs, I guess they dont want people defending themselves, and some misses shown up and started talking about grammar and spelling, I told her” tell that to the dog if it cares about grammar” “or spelling” And shortly after that I mentioned Watts prototype and “POOF”. Disappeared! :-* So I don’t know? I know I will never trust him anymore. He is done.

JayPee

You’re jamming space with inintelligebility. Are you on drugs, or are you a democrat ?

Me

No, now do you want me to explain it very slowly? or is this the only skeptic web site you been to? Because most people here and lots that don’t comment know and buzz other websites and know what happened. Do you still follow?

Me

So if you want to treate Me like that I’ll do the same to you! JayPee. But I don’t think you’re not that ignorant to what I said but I have been wrong before.

Me

The thing was it wasn’t that long ago I stated here that maybe both sides was playing this game to keep it going, you know the gravy train, it shouldn’t be this difficult to prove or disprove an hypothysis that had been going on now for over 18+ years when the alarmist stated only 15 years was needed and it still continues?????????

squidly

Me, I feel the same way. Watts’ is obviously in the business of “keeping it going”, that there is no doubt. I am feeling more and more like Heller is the same. I was banned from Heller’s site for similar reasons to you. Heller doesn’t like to be called out when he is wrong. He doesn’t like to be contradicted unless he contradicts himself (which he does frequently).

As for the “disprove”, that has already occurred long ago. The Watts’ and Heller’s out there completely ignore and gloss over that part, for if they didn’t, they would become irrelevant (which the largely are already).

Gator

Hey Squid! You are not missing much over at Tony’s site these days, it is being overrun by conspiracy theorists. There is even one commenter who says that not only was the moon landing a hoax, but that [i]all[/i] space travel is fake, even to this day.

Tony posted a truther video and said, “[i]This video is worth a watch[/i].” But it is not. It is nearly two hours of provably false BS, and now it makes [i]him[/i] look like a nut. I waded through it, and then spent days researching point by point refutations of that nonsense, as I abhor truther lies with a passion.

I have censored myself on his site, because I do not want to be associated with crazy people. Mark my words, his crediblility will forever be marred by that single gullible post.

Tom is a much better host, and attracts far fewer nutjobs. 😉

Amber

Me
    Excellent point . There are a lot of people making a living off the climate hustle and the fact this hypothesis wasn’t blown out of the water 15 years ago is testament to the effort of scientists and other rent seekers to keep churning this overblown scam .

All the failed predictions of doom from clowns trying to make a buck off ignorant politicians and a public more interested in a Kardashian ass .

As long as the USA money printing presses keep cranking out unsupported debt, scams like scary global warming can continue . $$Trillions flushed with no consequences . Amazing world we have created .

The politicians never seem to get around to their role in handing off the largest ongoing fiscal mess in history to the next generation .
    No their plan is to control the earths thermostat to within 2 degrees . It’s a magic trick optical illusion to distract from the publics real concerns and a ton of crap coming our way.